- I Wrote Some Stuff and Now I Have a Shop-Vac. Definitely the best blog post I’ve read this week, over at Real Live Preacher.
- I’ve been intending to link to the Current Electoral Vote Predictor 2004 for a while. It’s just bad luck that when I finally do link to it, it’s the first day in which the most current polls give Bush the lead. (This may reflect the boost Bush got from Reagan’s death, in which case I doubt it’ll last).
UPDATE: Larry Sabato’s Crystal Ball says things currenlty lean for Kerry. Both maps agree that the race is close enough to go either way.
- Interesting article in the Voice about how Karry and Bush are appealing – or, more accurately, failing to appeal – to single female voters. There are a lot of ways Kerry could try to appeal to these voters – for instance, promising to raise the minimum wage. But he won’t, because he’s focused on appealing to “Reagan democrats” (i.e., men). There’s also a companion article. Via Feministing.
- I keep on forgetting to link to Freaky Bob’s report on the Stumptown Comics Fest, a local comics convention I helped organize. There’s a bit about Kevin Moore on page 5, and a bit about me (including a photo – Bob held up a camera and said “pretend you feel sick”) on page 6.
Kip has a report on the Fest as well, and so does Erika. Erika has lots of photos, but none of me, dammit! (Actually, there are two of the back of my head – just after the photo of Erika’s underwear riding higher than her pants.)
In addition, someone wrote into a local paper calling everyone at the Fest “scenester fucks.” I’ve never been called a scenester before, so I think that’s pretty cool. Mercury Studios has all the info.
- Vanessa at Feministing discusses an interesting/appalling Title IX case, in which a coach was fired for complaining about the lesser funding given to girl’s teams.
- Positive Liberty is looking forward to the day when all people, male or female, will be running around in skirts.
- If you’re a Simpsons fan, you’ve gotta check out this amazing map of Springfield.
- Where does Bush stand on abortion? Tapped points out that Bush, in his public statements, hasn’t been totally forthright. Noentheless, it’s clear that Bush (like Kerry) is out of synch with his church’s position on abortion – a fact that doesn’t often make the papers.
- If you’ve got a fast connection and don’t mind downloading a big .mov file, check out this stunning performance by beatboxer Kenny Muhammad. Some of the stuff he does doesn’t even seem possible. Thanks to Kip for the tip.