I should start by reminding everybody that Justice 4 Two Sisters is following the case closely. So many bloggers have been following this story closely. Feel free to put your links to your postings in the comment section or links to particularly good analyses.
I don’t expect that we will be hearing much about the case until the DNA evidence comes back in a few weeks, but I did read at least one report where the DA was saying that if they don’t have DNA he doesn’t want to go ahead with the case. I’m nor sure if that report is correct or not because earlier he was saying that he is confident that he can win the case without DNA. We’ll see what happens.
1. The victim’s father speaks out to a local TV station. Including this statement,
The man described what his daughter looked like when she was released from a hospital.
“Her face was all swollen up, her jaw. She couldn’t half walk. One of her legs was hurt,” he said.
The alleged victim, an N.C. Central University student, mother of two and part-time exotic dancer, had been hired to perform at a party. That was when she claimed the sexual assault took place. The attorney for the lacrosse players said the men are innocent.
“There is no doubt in my mind, because I’ve seen the look in her face. I’ve seen the bruises on her face,” the alleged victim’s father said.
The man said his daughter’s physical scars pale in comparison to the emotional ones, and that he hopes his daughter finds new ways to make ends meet.
2. Duke University Student Government. Also includes an interesting link to a pro-feminist men’s group.
3. The lawyers representing the players call the media hype a “lynch mob” and give a hint at what their strategy is going to be–the victim staged it and the DA is out to get re-elected (classic condemn the condemners strategy).
4. Student activists continue protesting. It seems that some students are quietly posting banners supporting the team, while other are openly protesting. They have also noted that this is not the first incident where a LAX player has been accused of racism (one put a black face picture on Facebook and the other is said to have made comments about Black fraternity members eating watermelon and chicken.)
5. National and International media descend on Duke. (So my claim that this would not make national news was wrong. Thank goodness.)
6. This is a very good story from the Raleigh News Observer. They say that the police are confident that the earlier call about the racial slur did not come from the victim. They also say when police showed up at the house to investigate the slur no one answered. I also encourage people to listen to the full 911 tapes posted on this page. I am confident that the first caller is a White woman. (Definitely worth reading if you are following the case. The Raleigh paper has had much better coverage than the national media.)
7. The Duke Chronicletakes a decidedly apologist turn in defense of the lacrosse team, saying things like the racial slurs were alleged. The headline says, “White, Black-or Duke?” a very typical colorblind phrasing. (I have not seen that neighbor who over heard the racial slurs back down one iota–I guess the student paper is insinuating that the victim and the neighbor are lying. Here we go.) Here is a markedly different editorial from a Black woman at the school (make sure to read the anonymous comments left at the bottom and note that at 3PM on the 31st eastern time there were not comments on the White, Black-or Duke? article.)
8. An article out of Australia that uses the stop snitchin’ analogy like similar to the one I made in the earlier post.
9. The local Durham paper has some quotes from the district attorney Mr. Nifong. We probably won’t be hearing anything for a while.
10. A good story from the local paper that details how forensic evidence is collected in rape cases. It also raised the question as to why it took so long to gather evidence.
11. Some are questioning the timeline of the two calls to police. Here is the link to the story.
12. And last but not least someone who says, he believes that the “Duke Raping” never occurred. If you want to see more conspiracy theorists like this feel free to come to my blog Rachel’s Tavern, folks with this view are trying to take over the comments section. Please feel free to come do battle with them.