The Census Bureau is beginning the debate for the 2010 racial categories list. I received a query on a list serve yesterday asking what people thought about the term “Negro.” This leads me to believe that the Census is considering removing the term from the 2010 form. I expect there to be several debates over Census language and categories. Once the data is collected the other big issue will be how the data is tabulated and reported. Just to give you an idea here is a copy of the 2000 ethnicity (Spanish Origin) and race questions. This is exactly how they appeared last time.
If you would like to look at how the Census forms and race questions have changed throughout US history, here are a few links.
- The Social Construction of Our Ever Changing Racial Categories
- Is the rejection of Estrada racial discrimination?
- Debate: It's Time To Panic vs. There's Light At The End Of This Tunnel
- Horrible track records and the possible rolling back of women's rights and racial civil rights
- An interesting abortion debate