Justice delayed is better than none at all, I guess. From Feminist Law Professors:
Today the Georgia Supreme Court ordered the release of Genarlow Wilson. Wilson was sentenced to 11 years in prison (with a mandatory 10-year sentence) for receiving, at a time when he was 17, oral sex from a 15-year old girl. The Georgia legislature subsequently changed to 12 months the maximum sentence available in similar cases involving consensual sex acts between teens.
Mr. Wilson has been in jail for 21 months.
See also this post on The Debate Link.
Francis Holland calls this “a victory for the afrosphere.” I don’t know enough about the Georgia Supreme Court to know if this is true, but I’d certainly like it to be true.
Meanwhile, conservatives have their own spin on the Wilson case.
(I previously blogged about Wilson’s case here.)
- Genarlow Wilson Wins In Court, But Attorney General Appeals. Also, Wilson May Be A Rapist.
- Massachusetts Supreme Court says Gays have Right to Marry
- Missouri Supreme Court Invalidates Photo ID Requirement For Voting
- Parental Notification Laws before the Supreme Court
- No, The Florida Supreme Court Didn't Say That.