Tomorrow I will begin posting my arguments for voting for Barack Obama.
But first, some arguments I will not use. Because they’re sucky.
Top Ten Bad Pro-Obama Arguments
1) Clinton is just plain selfish for not dropping out of the race! It shows she has bad character.
2) Racism has benefited Clinton this election, totally unlike sexism benefiting Obama, which has never happened and if it ever did happen didn’t matter.
3) Clinton is eeeevviiiil.
4) Obama will run center but govern left.
5) Obama is the next JFK!
6) Obama is the messiah. Worship him, foolish mortals, or your very soul is lost.
7) Hilary is only where she is because of her husband.
Hillary is a horrible role model because she stayed with Bill after Monicagate.
9) Hilary has shrill laughter. She reminds me of my hectoring mother. She’s a woman, and woman things disturb me.
10) The math proves Hillary can’t win, so no one should vote for her.
(UPDATE: Thanks to Jackie in comments for providing an eleventh bad argument for Obama:)
11) “Clinton is playing the victim card, as if sexism, and not 1-8 above, is to blame for the fact that her inevitable nomination turned out not to be so inevitable. Even if she believes it’s true, how does whining and blaming spell empowerment?”
(How did I miss including that one the first time around?)
Yes, these are exaggerations of what some Obama supporters have said; but only just.
And yes, I think that Clinton supporters make some sucky arguments too (including some of the above arguments with the names reversed). But that’s not my focus right now.
My point is that people on both sides of this debate can and should strive to make the debate less stupid. A lot of my fellow Obama supporters have not managed to do this, unfortunately.
UPDATE: See also, Kate’s not-the-reasons she voted Clinton.