Please feel free to use this as an open thread, posting whatever you like, for as long as you like, with whomever you like.1 Self-linking is not mandatory, but it’s certainly encouraged.
Here are my current open Firefox tabs:
- Orson Scott Card has a new homophobic essay out, explaining why marraige laws that discriminate against same-sex couples are good for homosexuals. Yonmei at Feminist SF has written an excellent, substantive and detailed response to Card.
- Obama adviser is, in effect, attacked by the right-wing for being part of the Muslim community. Obama, typically, didn’t lift a finger to defend the adviser or speak out against the bigotry.
- That’s part of the reason I’m planning to vote for McKinney and Clemente, the only all-woman-of-color ticket in the race. Of course, I live in a “safe state.”2
- The McCain and Obama health care plans are given a detailed, side-by-side comparison.
- Why political comics have historically been a nerdy guy thing and how we can change that. (By Jen Sorenson, who does the wonderful strip Slowpoke).
- Sam at Feministe has some thoughts on homosexuality and Judaism. I disagree with Sam, by the way; Tster’s comment is closer to my view. I’d also recommend this page for some alternative rabbinical interpretations. Or, for a less deep and Christian-biased but easier read, this page on religioustolorance.org.
- This is what anti-semitism looks like, from The Girl Detective. Again, I don’t completely agree with the post, but it’s interesting, and so is the discussion.
- The Girl Detective recommends The Past Didn’t Go Anywhere, a long essay on anti-Semitism and the left. I second her recommendation; I read this several months ago and was quite impressed.
- That reminds me, I also highly recommend Girl Detective’s blog Modern Mitzvot.
- Ultra-Orthodox Jews in Israel are using physical violence to enforce a “women sit at the back of the bus” rule — even on buses that have no such rule. People who act like that are genuinely disgusting people who should be thrown in prison. Curtsy: Sam at Feministe, who entitled her post “I can’t believe it’s not the Taliban.“
- Someday I will do a “Hereville” storyline about an eruv. If you’re not sure what an Eruv is, Wikipedia explains at length. This is a feminist issue, because in practice it’s more of a hardship for those tasked with infant care to not be able to carry objects on Shabbos.
- Eating disorders plague the Orthodox world, on Jewcy and in The Forward. Because there is so little contact between prospective brides and grooms in Orthodox culture, the pressure on Orthodox girls to in effect cultivate anorexia can be enormous. This also effects some mothers: “Wanting to predict what a young woman’s figure will be when she turns 40 or 50, some men go as far as asking what the size of the potential bride’s mother is. This obsession with physical appearance has led to an increase in eating disorders among middle-aged women.”
- The Should I Write An Angry Response To Being Called A Racist flowchart! The end of the flowchart refers to an old post of mine, which I of course find enormously gratifying.
- Posts on the mikvah (Jewish ritual bath): 1, 2, 3.
- What happened to Mary Berg? “A young girl’s account of the Warsaw Ghetto was a big success. Then the diary—and its author—disappeared.”
- Tirtzah: A Community of Frum Queer Women
- The Racial Slur Database. 2649 slurs and counting.
- Completely awesome fountain, which uses falling water to create words and images, in a Japanese mall.
- Sexual harassment okay as it ensures humans breed, Russian judge rules.
(Thanks to Bean for the final three links.)
- I’m gonna keep using this line until someone tells me they recognize the reference. [↩]
- Actually, right now it’s not looking so safe, but I suspect that as we get close to November it’ll firm up. [↩]
- My Open Tabs, and, Open Thread (Orson Scott Card is a weenie edition)
- Bunch-O-Links/Open Thread (While the Amp's Away The Rachel Will Play Edition)
- Various Links and Open Thread
- Neat-wow images: Twirly Things! And: Open thread. Post your links here!
- Open Link & Comment Thread: Annie Ross Is Cooler Than You Are Edition