So on a news report this week, I saw Rob Reiner talking about how gay marriage is the final piece of the civil rights puzzle. This is apparently something Reiner has been repeating for months.
I appreciate how dedicated Reiner is to SSM, but he needs to stop saying that.
Transsexuals Trans people are still fighting civil rights battles. Immigrants are still fighting civil rights battles. Black people are still fighting civil rights battles. Etc, etc (I’m not going to attempt to list every group). Reiner erases a lot of crucial struggles every time he frames same-sex marriage in this way.
- Marriage Equality Opponents on Civil Unions, Then and Now
- When We Have A Civil Discussion Of Marriage Equality, It Will Hurt
- Oregon Judge Orders Stop to Gay Marriage Licenses
- Horrible track records and the possible rolling back of women's rights and racial civil rights
- The Only Good Civil Rights Leader is a Dead One