In June, I took over as head of Jackson Heights Poetry Festival (JHPF), a literary organization located right here in Queens, NY. Since its inception, JHPF has sponsored poetry festivals, literary salons and the First Tuesdays reading series, which is held on the first Tuesday of the month from September through June at Terraza 7, a wonderful venue where you can also hear some of the most interesting music in the New York City area. For now, I will be focusing JHPF’s energy and resources exclusively on First Tuesdays, which begins on September 4th with a reading by Jackson Heights poet KC Trommer. (Check out her website.) For more information please go to the Jackson Heights Poetry Festival website. If you’re a poet in the New York area and you’ve got work to share or if you just want to have some poetry in your life, I hope you’ll join us.
- Persian Poetry Tuesday: Poetry and Moral Authority, “If The King Sleeps Well,” from Saadi’s Bustan
- Shameless Self-Promotion: December 2010 – Januray 2011
- Shab-e She'r: A Night of Persian Poetry
- I am on this Panel: Persian Poetry: Origins, Translations, and Influences
- Persian Poetry Tuesday: A Quatrain by Rumi