I saw this story by Piper Weiss on Yahoo and it is heartwarming and inspiring:
[Nils] Pickert never minded that his son liked dressing in little girl’s clothes, but when his family moved from West Berlin to a small southern town in Germany, he learned that other people did. In fact, it became a “town wide issue,” according to Pickert, whose essay was translated by Tumblr user steegeschnoeber.
A new school didn’t make life any easier for his young son. Shortly after his first day, he stopped reveling in his own tastes and Pickert worried about the damage it could wreak on his self-confidence. ”I didn’t want to talk my son into not wearing dresses and skirts,” Pickert explained. “He didn’t make friends doing that in Berlin… so after a lot of contemplation I had only one option left: To broaden my shoulders for my little buddy and dress in a skirt myself.”
I really think that speaks for itself. You should go read the article.
- When I Held That Gun in My Hand I Felt a Surge of Power — Like God Must Feel When He's Holding a Gun
- Who Wears the Pants, then and now?
- That’s the News From Lake Wobegon, Where All the Women are Strong, All The Men are Good Lookin’, and all the Pogroms are Above Average
- John Roberts Wears Plaid Pants
- Warrior Wisewoman Anthology Calls for Science Fiction Stories with Strong Female Protagonists