So the elections over (give or take). And it was unquestionably a good election for Democrats, and perhaps even for liberals.
So what effects will it have?
1) So: Four more years. On the bright side, Obama starts his second term with an economy on the way up, and with our war commitments on the way down. On the dim side, Obama starts his second term with Republicans in congress dedicated to obstructionism above all else.
2) Speaking of which: Filibuster reform? Will it happen?
3) Ezra argues that merely by being reelected, Obama has achieved (or, rather, secured) some major goals.
4) Screw Obama. The most exciting election result of the night may have been pot legalization in Colorado and Washington. This seems huge, and I can’t even begin to predict how it’ll play out (except that I’m sure that I’ll be furious at the Obama administration before it’s through). But for the first time in my life, I feel hope that things can improve in this area, that we’re not just doomed to have more and more lives destroyed by the anti-drug zealots.
5) Another possible effect: “Legalisation could, in short, deal a blow to Mexico’s traffickers of a magnitude that no current policy has got close to achieving.”
7) Any chance that the US Government will start treating global warming like a serious and urgent issue?
So those are my initial thoughts. Yours?